Max's Nursery Before + After!


One of the main things I was excited about when we found out we were having a baby (other than the fact that we were having a baby) was transforming our spare bedroom that was our "walk-in closet" into the nursery.

I absolutely LOVE our little house. It doesn't take long to clean, we have plenty of room for the two of us and a future little one, and we've completed some renovations recently that have made it even more "us." I will definitely be emotional when we have to move one day (if we move?). :)

That being said, we decided from the beginning that we most likely wouldn't have guests since our parents lived close by (and have bedrooms to spare), so we decided to make the extra bedroom our walk-in closet. We filled the room with dressers, a wardrobe, and a large piece that came with the house to store our shoes. Some snapshots of the closet when we first moved in:


Even before we officially decided to have kids, I had a vision for what the spare room could be. Once we found out we were having a boy, it was even more clear. What I knew right off:

1. I would utilize the furniture that was already in the room and not buy more.
2. The crib would go in the middle of the room.
3. The larger piece would be used for the baby storage.
    a. The cubbies where the shoes were would each have a bin with labels.
    b. The larger, open part in the middle of the piece would become minimal hanging clothing.
4. My personal collection of movie/TV show posters would be used as part of the decor.
5. I wanted to add open book shelves and a version of my childhood chair that my parents had gotten us.

Based on all of this, I created a couple "mood boards" to get the creative juices flowing. I know it seems overkill, but I like a visual!


Slowly but surely, we have accomplished one little task at a time to get the nursery looking ... well ... like a nursery! I bought a different piece to store our shoes in our bedroom. Justin changed the light fixture, hung the shelves, put up the new curtain rods and curtains, and put together the crib. My mom revamped Justin's dresser from when he grew up by sanding it down and painting it gray. Then Justin installed the new black pulls. I hung the gallery walls of different art. Sarah got us the gray totes for the cubbies, so I organized and labeled all of those as well. Some pictures of the process:


I first saw open book shelves on this blog post in 2017 ... obviously I didn't DIY ours. We got these specific shelves as a sweet and very special baby gift from our friends at Grands Designs. So so blessed. I love them! They also made some for my sister-in-law. The chair is also, as I said above, special because it's the same kind my mom had. Sarah's mom covered mine like she covered Sarah's chair, and I'm SO appreciative of that as well (she even used the extra fabric to make a little blanket)! I'm lucky to know such talented people. Here are some fun throwbacks of our chair growing up:


Okay, okay, enough with the pre-nursery prep. I'm so excited to share our final nursery pictures and "before and afters!" Thank you to ALL the help and hands that went into this room:

The overall space:


The reading area details:


Changing table/dresser area. Behind the door is also where we're storing our his and her diaper bags and the actual diapering storage on the added shelf:


Extra details:



SHOP THE ROOM:

Gray Storage Bins (set one) // Gray Storage Bins (set two)

**The curtains, hampers, and baby hangers were all from TJMaxx.
**The shelf behind the door for diapering and the stool under the book shelves were from Hobby Lobby, and I couldn't find the links online.
**The hunting-and-fishing-themed decoupaged tin for storage (last picture) was made by my mom a long time ago.
**ALL of the movie posters have been gifts to me over the years (thank you Aube clan, Justin, Myra, and Helen), so I don't have links for all of them. The two Stranger Things posters were included in the boxed series sets, and I did order The Lord of the Rings one here.
**The quilt hanging over the reading chair was a sweet gift from a cousin. Instagram: @thatssewjen. Her info is below:
**Also, some last, fun info is that the otter in the crib was Justin's as a little boy and the dinosaur piggy bank on the top book shelf was mine growing up. There are quite a few other items from each of our childhoods that we've packed away for a little later. All in all, we are happy with the way the room came together!


Comments

Popular Posts