Brother

Once upon a time, there was a young couple who wanted to start a family. Eventually, they were told by the doctors that they would not have children. Sadness, tears, and disappointment lingered for a while, but they didn't give up hope. Ten years later, they got some happy news: they were pregnant!

Enter: me!

Yes, my parents were told they couldn't have kids. My mom and dad's unyielding faith that miracles could happen just goes to show God's mercy and gifts to His children. Not everyone's answer from God is a "yes," but their's was! Once I came along, they started trying immediately for another because it took so long for me to arrive. This time, it only took three years!

Enter: my brother!


Today is National Siblings Day. There is something about having a sibling that makes me feel cozy inside. You just have someone: no matter what. I love my brother to death. He was my best friend from the beginning (after the fact that I lost my temper as a three-year-old because "new baby brother" was getting all the attention, so it was a good time to throw my cheese across the table and get a spanking from my mother). But AFTER that, he was my best buddy. I called him "baby Neil" and he called me "Di Di" (I don't know why).


Once we got a little older, we did everything together. Long days spent outside: riding go-karts and dirt bikes, throwing football, baseball, or Frisbee, building forts, fighting epic battles together against orcs in our woods (in costume, with swords. duh.), picking blueberries (okay, eating them, are you happy, mom?! Haha*). I was with Neil when he saved up his money to buy his first ever gaming system: a Gamecube. Then we played on that together as well! Super Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox, X-Men, Mario Kart. Once we got into our teen years, we went to movies together (he's movie obsessed) or to town to shop around (he also has great style ... he gets it honest) or gamed on the Xbox (Black Ops: Zombies for daaaayyyyss).


He was always my shadow and sidekick (until he grew and grew into a much taller, muscled, bigger version of my little brother ... so I guess I've taken on the sidekick role now). It was always just me and him, plus some of our childhood friends that also became like family. Then he got married and gave me a sister! Yay! Now I get the best of both worlds.


I could not have imagined growing up without my little brother. He brought (and brings) so much laughter, energy, bright ideas, and joy into my life. Sure, we had our moments of fighting (what siblings don't ever fight?), but we always got over them quickly. Neil is my hard working, intelligent, athletic, good-looking, hilarious baby brother, and I wouldn't have it any other way!


Happy National Siblings Day, Neil! Thanks for always being willing to hang out with me and have my back when I needed it. Thanks for showing me movie trailers, having me listen to new bands, and letting me know when an album from one of my favorite bands comes out (because I never keep up with stuff like that). Thanks for being my best man on my wedding day. Thanks for naming your daughter after me. Thanks for all the memories, moments, events, support, love, and encouragement over the years. Words can't express what you mean to me!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts