The One and Only // Ranger


Ranger. Baby Range. Ranger Danger. The Dange.

I am a lover of all animals and creatures in general. Cats, dogs, horses, cows, snakes, birds, ferrets, mice, lizards, you name it. However, in the pet department, I have always preferred cats.

That is … until this sweet dog came along.


Now I can say I am a lover of cats … and a lover of Ranger.

When we first got Ranger, he was a year old. His previous owner, a soldier, got deployed and had to give Piglet (Ranger’s original name) up. Of course, we are supporters (and lovers) of our Humane Society. People know of us there. So when the soldier stood there crying, begging them to find someone who would give his dog a good home, they called my dad – also military. He picked Ranger up that afternoon.


At first, we were a little wary because of the pit bull “stereotype.” However, that lasted all of three minutes. Never have I seen a more trained, submissive, sweet, and happy dog. We all fell in love. He was such a goof!



He started outside. After all, we had never had an indoor dog until we started babysitting a couple indoor dogs every once in a while. None of our cats were indoor. It just made sense. However, he quickly conned his way out of the cage … into the fenced-in yard … and finally, into the house. He has stayed there ever since. He was house-trained and even polite when he used the bathroom outdoors (always in the woods or brush, never in open yard).

Ranger got cancer this past April. It has been a fast downhill spiral ever since. Now he is no longer in pain.


January 1, 2010 - July 31, 2018

Some things Ranger loved:

1. Going for a run or walk with anyone and everyone. He was my favorite and most loyal running buddy for years.



2. Going to the dump or on a car ride in general. He preferred sitting in the front seat or in someone's lap.



3. Dressing up and going Trick-or-Treating. We would visit at least 3-4 houses, where he would carry his own bag and get treats. The four years we did this, he dressed up as a fairy, a bat, a lion, and a pumpkin.



4. Bonfires. That dog thought that bonfires were parties thrown JUST for him. “I mean, come on guys … a warm fire, food, people to pet me, plastic water bottles to steal – of course these are for me.” – Ranger


5. Woodstove fires during the fall and winter months.



6. People. People, people, and more people. He loved making new friends. If he was REALLY excited to see you, he would have given you "love bites" - as we call them. They were really "love nibbles," but it was just showing you how excited he was to see you!



7. Napping. Enough said. He was good at it.


8. Sitting on the furniture. This would be a special treat if he got to. He was not normally allowed on the furniture, but there was always that special occasion ... or two. Or three.



9. His toys. He loved when someone would chase him around the house trying to get his ball from him. He also loved hide-and-seek. I would hide somewhere in the house and whistle until he found me. Then he would run away SO fast once he did find me.



10. Begging for treats. Or for attention. Or for a run. He was always watching.



Some things I loved about Ranger:

1. Everything.

2. His personality! He was always so very expressive. If I was sad, he would lay his head on my knee. If he was happy, he would jump around and sport the biggest smile. If he was scared, he would shake all over and want to be near someone. Sometimes if I looked deep into his eyes, it felt as if he knew what I was thinking.

3. His funny faces. Oh my goodness. So. Many. Faces. His lips would get stuck in his teeth ALL the time. This resulted in some hilarious moments.



4. How he loved other animals. He may have wanted to show that he was the alpha dog when he first met any animal, but once that was over ... friend time! The cats LOVED him. I think their favorite part of the morning was when Ranger came out to stretch. All of the cats made a beeline for him, and he would give them their morning nudges with his nose.




5. How he was basically afraid of everything. Thunder. Lego Batman. My hair in curlers. Guns. Masks. You name it.

6. His ability to ask forgiveness. When he DID do something he wasn't supposed to do (rare), he would hang his head and follow you around. If you sat, he would look at you with this pitiful stare and slowly put his foot on your knee. Worked every time.

7. His sense of adventure. He didn't always get to go do very many things, but when he did ... he jumped right in! Trips to Watson Mill with Neil and Sarah to get in the water. Hiking with me, Helen, and Helen's dog (who Ranger was also afraid of). Jumping on the trampoline. Going to the vet. All of it was fun and new to him, and he always had a good time and was brave when he had to be. His missing back foot never stopped him.

8. How he always wanted to be with the people. People trumped everything in his mind. Treats, food, playing ... if there was a chance to be with his people, he chose them. Every time. He made me feel important.

9. His sweet face. I may be biased, but he was one of THE cutest dogs I have ever seen. Creamy fur. Doughy brown eyes that looked like he had perfectly applied eyeliner on. The white spot on his snout.



10. The effect he had on people. I want to end this extremely long (and most likely uncalled for) post about my dog with a letter. It was written by one of the MANY friends he made. We don't even know the woman who wrote this! But this is what it says:



"The family of Ranger, I just wanted to take some time out of my day just to address some very special thoughts of Ranger today. To say how much I really enjoy seeing him. He comes running up to me! He's such a very sweet dog and he really [makes] my days! And what a loving dog too! But most of all, thank you all very much for letting Ranger be a very special friend! He has helped bring my blood pressure way down too! May God bless you all."



Ranger,

Thank you for one hundred percent changing my perspective and opinion of dogs in general. You showed me what it feels like to love a dog and let it steal your heart. I feel like a part of mine is missing today because of you. You were wonderful, loving, and loyal. Thank you for keeping life interesting, hilarious, and fun-filled with your crazy-quirky personality. Our family was so blessed to have you.


Comments

  1. This made me cry. Such a wonderful eulogy for an absolutely perfect companion. He will be sorely missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! Yes, he will be for sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts