Fall Favorites

Yes. September - November are the only three "autumn months" I get. So I will be taking full advantage of this time of year! Every year when this time comes around, I think, "Why do I love this season so much? What are some of my favorite things about it?"

Well. Let me count the ways.

Even as a little girl who still played with dollhouses and built forts outside ... I loved the autumn season. I remember my mom letting me pick out some fall "decorations" for both my dollhouse AND my clubhouse/fort down in the woods (there are still some of my plastic Halloween pumpkins down there). It's just a warm-feeling time.

1. Decorating. Getting to decorate my house for fall is something I so-enjoy. All of the warm colors being brought out, candles being lit, pumpkins adorning the front stoop, Halloween vinyls playing on my record player. I love getting to use my fall-themed mugs every morning with coffee as well! (Is it just me, or do they make the coffee taste better? ...)


2. Fall festivals. Yes. Bring them on! As usual, my mom, sister-in-law, and I put together "fall calendars" that we fill with all sorts of fall festivities (some of which are our own traditions)! I can't wait until Aryl is old enough to look forward to these events as well.


3. Pumpkin painting party. Every year we've had a pumpkin painting party in October. It seems like it gets bigger and bigger each year, but I love it. We just bring our pumpkins, break out the paint, play a fall-themed movie, and snack on healthy (and not-so-healthy) treats and drinks.


4. Movie Night Under the Stars. This started as just an "outdoor movie night" the first couple years we did it. However, the last few years it has started to become Sarah's birthday movie night under the stars! She picks the movie and the food, and we invite the family over for an outdoor movie night and bonfire. It's always a good time.


5. Sending out autumn cards. I am all about sending out cards. I like for people to open up their mailbox and not see a bill every once in a while. I especially love to send fall cards ... orange, red, and yellow envelopes. Autumn and Halloween stickers. A little pumpkin love.


6. Eating by the fire pit. Justin and I have a sweet, little patio. On this patio, we have a normal-sized fire pit with two Adirondack chairs (made by Grands Designs). Every once in a while, we will get a wild hair on a work night and eat outside by the fire. I love those rare times!


7. Bonfires. My parents have the perfect setup in their backyard. They have a huge bonfire area that includes a buffet to set out the food spread, a "redneck deck," a few sets of tables and chairs, and a stand to hang a screen and movie projector. Even if it's just ordering Chinese food in to-go containers and sitting around the flames, I'm up for it anytime!


8. Reading a horror/Gothic horror novel. I don't often read horror. I have read plenty of suspense, crime, and mystery novels ... but not many horror. However, my favorite Gothic horror novels include: Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Last year, I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The year before that, I read IT. Hmm ... what book will it be this year?


9. Pumpkin spice lattes. Let's not stop there. Pumpkin spice EVERYTHING. The end. Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin salsa. Pumpkin chips. Pumpkin bread. Pumpkin cream cheese roll. #Praise


I'm sure there are MANY other reasons to love fall. The cozy look, the feel, the colors, the changing of the leaves, etc. Corn mazes ... apple picking ... pumpkin carving. But these are just a few of my favorite fall things.


PS: Here is a "Fall Bucket List" I created on PicMonkey.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts