How I know autumn is here ...


It's official. Autumn has arrived. As of September 22nd (Autumnal Equinox), fall is here to stay a while. In the words of Anne from Anne of Green Gables ... "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." My friend, over on The Roomy Nest, got me a wonderful gift of writing prompts in the form of a book/magazine called Bella Grace: Field Guide to Everyday Magic.

The very first prompt is a question: "When do you know it's officially autumn?"

Well. As I stated above, I know it's here "officially" when September 22nd hits.
However, fall hits my HEART long before that day arrives.
There are so many things that remind me that my favorite time of year is almost here.


1. September. Yes, September in general. Since I work in the school system, school starts back in August. In my mind, summer is over then. So when September 1st comes around, I already feel that fall is in the air. (**Also ... this is my personal logic: December, January, February are winter; March, April, May are spring; June, July, August are summer; and September, October, November are fall. So ... September 1st is basically autumn.**)

2. The peepers. I'm not talking about creepy and peep-y people either. There is a distinct kind of peeper bug that is one hundred percent an autumn sound! I can't even tell you what kind of bug it is (they aren't crickets ... even though crickets can be charming if I'm in the mood for them). All I know is that I feel fall is getting close when the "summer insect" noises start fading, and the "autumn peepers" start getting louder. At the beginning of September this year, I heard them outside my window while I was brushing my teeth, and I got a cozy feeling.

3. The one, random evening or morning that is particularly cool. This already happened at the beginning of September as well! I walked outside one evening to throw some clothes in the washer, and there was a cool breeze flitting around at dusk. It made me want to run to my closet, pull out all my sweaters, boots, and scarves, and go to a pumpkin patch. I refrained.

4. The making of "Fall Calendars." My mom, sister-in-law, and I have the tradition of making calendars for September, October, and November every year. In August, we go online and look up ALL the fall festivals and activities we can find. They go on the calendar, along with our normal autumn traditions: bonfires, Movie Night(s) Under the Stars, Pumpkin Painting Party, Pumpkin Spice Latte Day, fall decor shopping, etc. It's always so fun when the calendars are filled in, prettied up, and printed out!

5. Macho starts getting chunky. Macho is my cat. This will happen for any cat, really. Cats lose a lot of weight in the summer (if they are an outdoor cat) because it's hot, and they don't eat as much. When the seasons start changing, it's like Macho knows he needs to start packing on the pounds for the colder months so that he has more fat.

Of course, there are SO many more basic "autumn-time giveaways" ... the fall sections coming out in stores, pumpkins, fall clothes and colors, the changing/falling of leaves, jack-o-lantern's on the stoops... I love everything about it.


To end, one of my all-time favorite autumn memories was at a time in my life when I just didn't know what God's plan was for me.

I had just decided that college wasn't for me after three years of trying to find my niche. Interior Design, Dental Hygiene, Culinary ... none of it worked out. A lot of artistic types have it rough. Most of the time, a person's art may not be good enough to sell and make a living ... or they may not have the temperament to be an art teacher. This was me. I wanted to use my personal artistic talents in my work. Hence ... Interior Design first, Culinary third. I honestly had all the hygiene shadowing, core classes, and all of my science classes completed apart from one. Which I took again ... and again ... and again. Yep. Three times I tried to pass ONE final class to get into the program (and quite honestly, the "section" of that class that brought down my average would end up having nothing to do with that major ... but I digress).

I took the hint. I decided to quit wasting my time trying to figure out what I could do to further myself in college, and took a break. Instead of returning to school in the fall, I decided to pack up and get away from it all. I didn't tell anyone, apart from my parents. And I left. Alone.

I spent two glorious weeks up north. One week with my Grandma and dad's family in New York, and one week with my aunt and uncle in Pennsylvania.

I had never been there 1. alone 2. during the autumn season. I'm tearing up just writing this because this time was so special and reassuring for me. Not only did I have so many schooling issues at the time, but personal, relational, and physical as well. This time was a time of healing. Healing my mind, my body, and my soul.

After spending a lot of time staying busy in New York with all of my dad's family, the drive to Pennsylvania was a time to really think about what my next step needed to be. I cried. I prayed. I talked out loud to God and asked, "What good am I if I don't like college or don't get a degree?" While doing this, I kept looking out the window at the beautiful, autumn view. The leaves were SO vibrant and beautiful - the opposite of what I felt. I passed the sweetest pumpkin stands and patches, corn fields, and forests. It is really a beautiful time up there.

My week with my aunt and uncle was a week of relaxing and reflecting. Since they both were working at the time, I had the days to spend on my own and time with them in the evenings. I would sit outside on their deck in the crisp morning air, pray, and try to find peace. I did. God handed me so much peace and grace during this time of confusion. I was able to make amends with certain people at the time. I addressed my eating disorders. I decided not to feel guilty about not staying in school and to do my best wherever I ended up next.

What made all of this even more special was that it was during this wonderful season of fall. A time when certain chapters come to an end. Things die and get ready for new beginnings later on.
It was that time of year, and that time in my life.
I will never forget it.

Some pictures I had taken from that autumn:



Comments

Popular Posts